Always keep your wits about you.
Personal Alarms now available from HNW 3193
Small easy to use and very loud persoal alarm systems are now available from NHW 3193. They also have a light. They are ideal to keep in your car or
handbag or around the home. Two options. Both small, the one on the left is about a cigarette box size. The other would fit on a keyring
Cost $25.00 and $20.00 repectively. Contact firstname.lastname@example.org if you want one.
Enjoying Victoria’s world-class pub, bar, nightclub, restaurant and entertainment scene with your friends should be fun and free from violence and other dangerous situations.
By looking out for each other and taking some simple precautions, you can help ensure a safe and enjoyable night out for you and your friends.
Key Safety Tips
- Plan your night
- Drink Safely and within your limits
- Take Care of your friends
- Stay Alert and walk with others in well lit, populated areas.
Plan Your Night
- Take your ID, phone and enough money for food and transport
- Make sure you have safe transport to and from the venue before leaving
- Nominate a designated driver if necessary
- Check public transport times before leaving so you don’t have to wait at the platform
- If in Melbourne, consider using the NightRider bus or a taxi
- Tell friends or family where you are going and when you will be home. Keep them updated.
You are more vulnerable to violence and accidents when you’ve had too much to drink. Alcohol affects everybody differently so get to know your personal limits and stick to them. Save yourself from regrets, and remember that how much you drink is up to you.
- Drink within your limits
- Eat substantial food before and while drinking
- Drink slowly and drink water throughout the night
- Never mix alcohol and drugs
- If you can’t remember how many drinks you’ve had, it’s time to slow down
- Never drink and drive or get into a car driven by somebody who has been drinking.
- Never accept a drink you haven’t seen the bar staff pour
- Don’t leave drinks unattended and keep an eye on your drinks and your friends’ drinks
- Remember that even soft-drinks can be spiked.
Take Care of Your Friends
- Staying together and looking after one another is one of the best ways to stay safe.
- Stop your friends from getting into fights
- Walk away from dangerous or conflict situations and take your friends with you
- Don’t leave friends alone with somebody they’ve just met
- Recognise when a friend has had too much to drink and encourage them to slow down
- Never leave someone who is drunk or passed out – get them immediate medical help.
One Punch Can Kill
- Do not underestimate the dangers of a single punch
- A single head injury can lead to death or serious brain damage if left untreated
- Call for an ambulance on Triple Zero (000).
If You Feel Unsafe
- Make sure you are not isolated – stay with your friends and head to a well-lit, populated area
- Call Triple Zero (000) in an emergency.